Sweet sleeping angel.
Спит.gif

Anna, all iguanas are very individually refer to the cleaning of old skin. It's like a tape measure.
lol.gif

Yes, it is normal to be bothered certain times, in certain places.
There is the "Don't touch me" bother, the "Stop, it hurts!" and the one I usually see on Johnny when the skin bothers him, what I do is like tickling him, he flicks his hand as if to slam me away but in truth it is like scratching. When he does that, I just keep removing the skin.

I've seen here somewhere that you often suggest baby oil or something like that. It might ease their skin as well? :unsure:

Riu really doesn't appreciate taking off the skin or maybe I am just unsure of his reaction but he moves to the back with his body,
so I take it as a no :rolleyes:

Mineral oil (cosmetic-grade mineral oil) is used, either as baby oil but usually as Vaseline, since it is easier to be kept on the skin for much longer.
It is occlusive, meaning it traps moisture under it, so the skin is easier to change.

He is a sleepy boy. tender003They seem to get very sensitive in places during a shed and don't enjoy being touched. If it has gone far enough and they can't get it off they will allow some assistance.

Basically, we look for fingers to shed well and spikes. I have never smeared the iguana's body with oil. Usually, this only applies to the spikes on the back.

He is doing quite well with his sheed but I saw today big pieces will come off from his belly soon. I guess he will get rid of it easily in the soil. He likes to scratch/burry himself for a few seconds in the soil he has in the enclosure. He does that everyday. It ease itchy feeling, so I guess he will not have many problems with shed (i hope). I exchanged the soil today. I do it every few weeks to make sure there is no old skin of Riu or old food left for a long time, that I have missed during the daily cleaning [emoji106][emoji56]

I caugth him again with my phone camera, while sleeping at 19:50 [emoji177][emoji846] his legs and arms were to the back, so I guess he was relaxed at that point.

Ps. That dot on his mouth is a leftover after eating raspberries [emoji2960]

abe112d4e371149fbeddda674c0cd721.jpg

By soil, I meant special terrarium soil/substratum. Its for reptiles but there is No coconut in it or wooden chunks. He has it since he is little. He never ate it but I heave heard about stories.

I just saw that film, funny guy. Riu sometimes does it on his trees [emoji23][emoji57] or I also saw him rubbing himself with his legs, just like a dogs do LMAO

I have seen my iguanas use their hands and feet for this.^64% And Juanita loved to crawl on her tummy, but not as masterly as Charby.

Anna, do you have a similar photo of Riu , when he was small? It is interesting to compare how much space he occupied on this shelf.

Hey :) I came later than expected today, but I still found some time (30 min) to spend it with my baby and clean a bit.

49938674_1000828586771953_808251706247741440_n.jpg

This week, he behaves quite calm, relaxed, and this results in the photos above (y) You can see him relaxed while sleeping. He recently only wants to lie on a spot and bask. Since he started to shed his skin, he is lazier. But on the other hand, eat more and more :ROFLMAO: You can see how the afternoon portion is served, which is a mix of kale and musky pumpkin:

Also, I caught the way he is scratching. Unfortunately, I didn't catch it, while he did it with his back leg (which is always really funny)
and he also yawned :love:

He had a funny position at the moment, look at his hand Gif28

49938802_1074730399377187_1048653176267341824_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember if we talked about it or if you already saw it. But when he rubs his head like that you may see his eyes bulging out. A lot. Like, "omg what is wrong with my iguana, his eyes are falling out" a lot.
It is absolutely normal and I am telling you so you are not scared when you see it. They relax their eyes' muscles so they kind of "fall" and bulge and they rub them. Like when we rub our eyes with our palms.