Hi.

My sub adult (about 2.5 years old 7lbs) male iguana just bit me. I have had him for a few years and handle him daily. He has an enclosure that is 7 feet high by 6 feet wide and about 5 feet deep. Generally he loves getting pet and nuzzles up to me, closes his eyes and enjoys being stroked.

A few minutes ago I put him in his bath. He often tries to climb out and I will put him back. Today he was sitting in there and I was petting him so that he would stay in. He licked my arm that was not petting him (obstructing his way out) but then he bit me and would not let go. No kind of head bobbing or aggressive behavior preceding it. He just calmly bit me and would not let go. I lifted him out and after about a minute he let go. I did not struggle or jerk around and then calmly put him back in his home.

He already walks around on my shoulder all the time so I guess I screwed up there. But generally we have gotten along great. Perhaps he was a bit grumpy with me because I took him out last night to show to some guests and fed him some treats. This is certainly not the first time I have done this, but it is the first time he has bitten me.

Any suggestions on how I can curb this behavior. Certainly wasn't terrible and I am not afraid of him but don't want this to become a pattern. He is not in breeding season. estiguar.png

Estiguar Bite.png

Welcome to the forum!
Хлопает.gif
You have a lovely boy.
влюбленный купидон.gif

Unfortunately, in the breeding season, the behavior of the males may simply be intrusive (and love bites are possible) or aggressive.
Judging by your description, you had a love bite. Therefore, you need to be patient and be careful.
You must be prepared for what he wants to bite you. Probably you will be helped by some articles on the forum:
https://www.ourreptileforum.com/community/forums/green-iguana-behavior-and-taming.107/

And communication with us (users on the forum).

I'm also wondering how to treat this wound. I know no one is a doctor here but I live in the US without health insurance (thanks Trump!). I put a triple antibiotic on it and washed it out with soap and peroxide immediately.

I'm also wondering how to treat this wound. I know no one is a doctor here but I live in the US without health insurance (thanks Trump!). I put a triple antibiotic on it and washed it out with soap and peroxide immediately.
You did everything right.
Да.gif

The wound is not very big. The most effective and simple means is hydrogen peroxide 3.5% + treatment of the wound with chlorhexidine in the following days.
If you have a weak immune system, you can drink antibiotics. But until I was sick with diabetes, such wounds healed very quickly.

The wound should heal fine and just keep it clean. I would continue with the triple antibiotic until it has healed up.

The licking followed by the bite does sound like a love bite. It would be good to watch his behavior and if he licks with interest remove your hand or arm from harms way. The best way to stop the behavior is to remove the temptation.

You have a nice looking iguana.

I found my own video for you. By the same principle, our Boy sometimes bites (tries to bite). He licks us and then wants to bite. I do not know what to do with such behavior. Probably just be careful.
сочувствие.gif

He also sometimes makes quick head movements - it also means that he can bite.

You were luck it was probably a test love-bite.
Although it is affectionately called as such, there is little "love" involved *ouch*
I agree with what the ladies said about treatment and further actions from your part.

What is the news about your boy? You have not shown his photographs for a long time.

He has been very chill. It is still too cold in new york to let him walk around a bunch in my appartment but looking forward to that soon. thanks for askin

Have you had any injuries this year?
It seems he was behaving well this time.

No stitches, the wound should be left open to drain because it is an iguana bite. I agree on the antibiotic cream and keep it clean. Wash with soap and water daily and cover with triple antibiotic cream/ointment. No bandaid unless it's really hanging open, it didn't look to be.

You mention your iguana is 2.5 years old He could be reaching sexual maturity, which is a time that behavior can change. I would wear a flannel shirt (long sleeves) or sweatshirt when handling him and be careful until you see if his behavior is repeated. It's okay to not make him stay in the bath if he doesn't want to, I put my boy in (10 year old male) and he will usually stay in, but once in a while he doesn't want to, so I let him climb out and walk around.

It's good you recognize that on the shoulder is a bad idea. If he's changing because he's getting older / becoming sexually mature you will probably have battles over dominance. I wouldn't allow him on your shoulder because he should understand you are the dominant one. Unfortunately during breeding season it doesn't matter who is dominant, he will still be a butthead (some boys do, some don't, I've never had a problem with my boy). I have never allowed my iguana on my my shoulder. If this is the beginning of male aggressive behavior, you can always use your hand behind his head to push his head to the floor if he acts like he wants to bite or attack you. You an carry him by gently pinning his arms to his sides if you find he's being a butt and you want to put him in the enclosure (kudos on the huge enclosure!) I'm not trying to scare you, you may never have a problem, I have not in 10 years, but just want you to be prepared for your own safety.

He loves you! Proceed with caution lol! The girls have provided you with much info. At least you know you are his human!

I'm in PA so weather is similar, Kismet has been in rutt for about two months now. Although last year was way earlier...then again, his first. This is our second mating season. He's super nice...but I watch for the stalking eyes. They mean he's interested.

Skimming, I didn't see if anyone mentioned toys. Last year, Kismet took my sweatshirt. I then made him "girlfriends". Then he was easy to divert to a toy when stalking.

This year, just a few attempts (one successful :rolleyes:) to mate with me. The story is somewhere in here lol! He also runs my husband off lol! He will do all sorts of bobbing and posturing when he passes him. If he's standing, Kismet runs him away from me lol!

FB_IMG_1582653969855.jpg

His harem!